top of page

Match Report: Tadley Calleva vs Cowes Sports

After a tough 3-1 loss in midweek, Tadley returned to Barlow’s Park in search of their third home win in a row. Cowes Sports were the visitors, needing points badly due to their league position; siting in 18th. The reverse fixture finished 1-1 earlier on in the season and the weather played a big part then and this was to be the same in this game. The wind was very strong which meant the team to against the wind had an extra challenge.

Tadley started the brighter of the two teams with Hallahan shooting from distance but his shot as saved well by Hatt. Just after 10 minutes, Cowed had a corner. The corner was cleared but only as far as Broomfield who just shot wide. Tadley then went up the other end but Danny Vickers couldn’t keep his shot on target. The best chance of the game to that point came to James Tennant who was slid in by George Hallahan. Tennant was off balance and his shot went wide. Moments later, Hallahan was involved again as he shot from outside the box but his effort smacked against the post and bounced out.

On the 28thminute mark, Vickers’ cross found Brett Denham who took the ball down just outside the Cowes 6-yard box. He shot but Hatt made himself big in the Cowes goal to keep the game level. Once again Hatt was at Cowes’ rescue as he saved a shot from Tennant but only as far as Thorne who was denied once again by Hatt! Tadley needed to take these chances.

Six minutes before half time, James Tennant found Danny Vickers who was on the left hand side. He crossed the ball across the face of goal and Brett Denham was there to slide in ahead of the defender. Denham’s touch gave Tadley the deserved lead and he got his second goal in two games.

Just before half time, Cowes were awarded a free kick just outside of the Tadley 18-yard box. After a long delay, as the ball wouldn’t stay still due to the wind, Bricknell stepped up and struck the ball into the back of Gee’s goal. Tadley had conceded on the stroke of half time and went into the break level.

Forty seconds into the second half, Tadley worked the ball into Cowes box. Hallahan was given the ball, he struck the ball well but his shot was blocked. A minute later, Denham laid the ball off the Hallahan who let fly but his shot was well held again by Hatt. Five minutes into the second period, Danny Vickers picked the ball up in his own half. He drove forward with the ball and had plenty of options around him. When he reached the outside of the box, he took the option to shoot. His emphatic shot beat Hatt and nestled into the goal. Once again, Tadley had the lead.

With thirty minutes left, a great corner from James Tennant was met by Denham yards out from goal. He managed to beat the keeper to it but could only divert over. Once again, Tennant was involved who received the ball from Thorne. Tennant released a powerful shot but it was beaten away by Hatt. Thorne then had a chance to get on the scoresheet but his shot was straight at Hatt. The final chance of the game came to Tadley who hit the post. Nicholls laid the ball off to Vickers who stabbed at the ball but his shot hit the post.

Tadley held out for the win and managed to achieve their third win at Barlow’s Park in a row. Next up for Tadley is Team Solent away on Monday night.

Starting XI: 1. Gee, 2. Abrams, 3. Maylen, 4. Nicholls, 5. Charsley, 6. Dallimore, 7. Vickers, 8. Thorne (17. Pettet), 9. Denham, 10. Hallahan (12. Phillips), 11. Tennant (14. Neller)

Not Used: 15. Tom Walsh, 16. Brad Neal

Attendance: 67

Recent Posts
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page