top of page

Defeat Overseas

adley were beaten well by a Jersey Bulls side who, since losing at Barlows Park earlier in the season have gone on to lose just one game since and were looking to continue to pull themselves up the table. Three second half goals put The Romans to the sword as the hosts picked apart the Tadley defensive lines to secure all three points.

Under a blanket of cold, grey and drizzling clouds, Tadley got the game underway but were unable to retain the ball and just minutes later this lack of protection could, and probably should, have seen the hosts take a very early lead.

A short clearance was intercepted and quickly played through to the Bulls talisman Lorne Bickley who found himself in acres of space just inside the Tadley 18-Yard box. His first effort was blocked well by the sliding tackle of Jordan Goater, but as the ball fell back to him it seemed all Bickley had to do was slot it home but he scuffed his effort and put it wide of the far post. A huge let off early on.

Unfortunately for Tadley, this was to continue through the ninety minutes. Jersey fashioned another half chance when yet another ball was given away loosely outside the 18-yard box and whipped in, onto the head of Bickley who’s tame effort comfortably found the hands of Atkinson in the Tadley goal.

The chances continued to rain down on the Tadley defence as a one two on the edge of the box allowed Giles to get in behind, but his touch was a heavy one which allowed Brad Neal to clear.

Tadley were holding on to a clean sheet by the skin of their teeth, and wishing for the half time whistle as streams of Jersey red made their way into the Tadley final third in an attempt to open the scoring before the interval. Luckily for the visitors, Jersey had not found their shooting boots in the first half else the game could have all but ended as a contest before it had even started.

Tadley had to come out better second half and get themselves into the game from a perspective of creating chances, however this wasn’t to be and the home side again dominated in this department.

Jersey opened the scoring just ten minutes into the second half. A free-kick just past the half way line was floated into the area where Connor Thorne rose with his attacker, Thorne got his head to the ball first but managed to guide it past his goalkeeper to give the home side a deserved lead. It should have been two-nil just a minute later when another loose pass was intercepted in the middle of the park. Barlow drove at the Tadley defence and played in Carr who’s effort fortunately went narrowly past the far post.

The second goal was always on the cards for The Bulls and it came through yet another Tadley mistake on the ball. Jonny Le Quesne capitalised on the hesitation of the Tadley defender and managed to nick the ball, play a one two with his centre midfielder and drove into the box. With Atkinson rushing out to close the angle, the Bulls player lifted the ball over the goalkeeper and into the back of the net.

Tadley still couldn’t get themselves into the game and any attempt to bring in the attacking threats of Rodgers, Thorne, Fragata & substitute Alex Miller were thwarted by a combination of organised defending and poor final ball kept the away side at bay.

Jersey wrapped the game up on ninety minutes from a corner. An inswinger from the left hand side wasn’t the best of deliveries but the ball managed to bounce it’s way through the box to find Watson all alone at the back post to tap in.

Tadley will know that they must perform much better at the weekend when they welcome Knaphill to Barlows Park in a fixture that may just have big implications on the play-off positions come the end of the season.


Recent Posts
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page