top of page

Match Report versus Hanworth Villa (5/2/22)

By Steve Williams

Hanworth Villa 2 Tadley Calleva 0

Unbeaten Hanworth Villa certainly found themselves in a competitive match against a re-shaped Tadley side. With Shaun Dallimore and Jordan Goater both still injured, Scott Kinge not available and Aaron Parfitt not fully fit, Joint Managers Ben Dillon and Joe Lawler opted for a three man defence. The game was barely minutes old when the 'Villains' lost the league's leading scorer, Sam Merson, to injury. However, this did not stop the home side going ahead on 12 minutes with the lively Meshach Williams converting after a right wing break by Jordan Ellis. The three man defence of Andrew Charsley, skipper Brad Neal and Kieran Maylen were solid with keeper Craig Atkinson also in good form. Despite this Hanworth did have a couple of opportunities to add to the scoreline. Aiden Harris, as a right wing back, was prominent going forward, often prompted by Ousman Darboe and Callum Cleary. On the other wing Lloyd Snell was getting less service. Having forced a number of corners, Tadley were unfortunate to be denied a very strong penalty claim for deliberate handball. In spite of some guilty home looks, the referee confirmed after the match that he was unsighted.

In the second half Tadley were the more dominant team although, prompted by the clever Ben Merson, the Villains remained dangerous. On 55 minutes, Brad Neal's powerful header from a Darboe corner was grasped safely by veteran home keeper Terry Buss. The keeper, on several occasions, quickly came off his line to cancel out clever ball promptings from Ben Wright - operating in a deeper position. Lloyd Snell was now more prominent and causing problems running at the home back line. Tadley sought to add to the tackling pressure through substitutions: Lucas Burt replacing Brett Denham on 60 minutes and Kallum Cousins replacing Max Elward on 68 minutes. On 65 minutes, a good move involving Cleary and Snell saw the ball in the net only to be ruled out by the Assistant's flag. In the 88th minute, released by Wright, Cousins saw his firm angled drive from 20 yards fly inches past the far post with the keeper beaten. And still Tadley pressed. Having looked dangerous from a succession of corners, our boys pushed all but one player into the box in added time in a gamble for a deserved equaliser. Sadly, this allowed Hanworth to break clear with centre back Bruno Tingle running 60 yards with the ball - three against one - releasing Merson who squared for Shadrach Malembe to score. Whilst disappointed to see the defecit double, the gamble was worth it and our management team and players can be proud of the performance.

Tadley Calleva: Craig Atkinson, Aiden Harris, Andrew Charsley, Brad Neal (C), Kieran Maylen, Lloyd Snell, Callum Cleary, Ousman Darboe, Max Elward (sub 68' Kallum Cousins), Brett Denham (sub 60' Lucas Burt), Ben Wright

Unused Subs: Aaron Parfitt, Jacob Rolfe


Recent Posts
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page