top of page

Match Report versus Spelthorne Sports (12/3/22)

By Dave Martin

Tadley Calleva 4 Spelthorne Sports 0

This was yet another impressive display by Tadley Calleva with a third win on the bounce Tadley have now taken 19 points from their last eight games, only losing out narrowly to undefeated league leaders Hanworth Villa a few weeks back. The home side dominated this match from the kick-off and should probably have put the game beyond Spelthorne before the half time whistle, but all credit to the visitors as they had a real go at getting themselves back into the game at the start of the second half.

Tadley started the match on the front foot and carved out the first opening after two minutes, but Aaron Parfitt's shot went well over the bar after good set up play by Ben Wright. A few minutes later, Tadley claimed for a penalty after Brett Denham appeared to be tripped in the box after a clumsy looking challenge from Dan Lewis, but unfortunately the referee was less than interested and waved play on. However, we didn't have to wait too much longer for the opening goal as Callum Cleary forced the ball over the line after some excellent build up play involving Aiden Harris and Kalum Cousins. It was all Tadley at this point with Ben Wright and Kalum Cousins both having really good opportunities to extend the home side's lead. Henry Poole, in the Spelthorne goal pulling off a superb save from Kalum Cousins shot. Spelthorne found the Tadley back line of Harris, Neal, Maylen and skipper Walsh in fine form and their first serious attempt on goal didn't materialise until around the 20 minute mark, but it was a pretty tame effort from Kelvin Karanja which Craig Atkinson dealt with comfortably. A few minutes later it was 2-0. A great cross field pass by Denham found Wright in space and his through ball found Callum Cleary who swept the ball home for his second of the match. Cleary almost grabbed his hat-trick on 28 minutes after good play from Jack French, but his well struck volley went narrowly past the post. The visitors lost keeper Poole to injury moments later. Tadley were awarded a free kick just inside the Spelthorne half and Aaron Parfitt spotted Poole off his line. The keeper first collided with the post as he back peddled to make the save from Parfitt's long range attempt.. He then appeared to twist his ankle after he and Cleary both went for the resulting loose ball. Substitute Joe Axten eventually replaced Poole in goal after it became clear he was unable to continue. Spelthorne almost got themselves back into the game just before half time with a rare attack. The hard working Ellis Pringle beat the offside flag to find himself one-on-one with Craig Atkinson. However, the Tadley keeper was quickly off his line to make an excellent save. The home side went in at the break with a well deserved lead. (HT 2-0)

The visitors came out in the second half in a more determined mood, probably after some harsh words, and almost got the goal they needed within a minute of the re-start. Pringle made his second break through the Tadley defence to set up Joe Wooton, but again Atkinson was quick off his line to make a great save. The visitors had more of the ball in the early stages of the second period and were prepared to push men forward in search of a goal. This was not without risk and Brett Denham did have the ball in the net on 52 minutes only to see a late flag. However, the third goal for Tadley wasn't too far away. A long ball down the left caught the Spelthorne back line cold and Callum Cleary squared the ball to Kalum Cousins to side foot home from 12 yards. This appeared to knock the fight out of the visitors and the pace of the game dropped as a consequence. On 60 minutes Tadley made their first change with Scott Kinge replacing Aaron Parfit in midfield. It was 4-0 soon after as Denham rifled the ball home after being cleverly played in by the impressive Callum Cleary. Joint Managers Ben Dillon and Joe Lawler then utilised the remainder of a very strong bench with Ousman Darboe, Lucas Burt, Jordan Goater and Jacob Rolfe all coming on in the final twenty minute period to see the game out and add a further three points to the total. Another fine performance, particularly defensively, and a result the management team, coaching staff and players can be rightly pleased with. We have made significant progress since the turn of the year. (FT 4-0)

Tadley's next match is at home to Wokingham & Emmbrook on Saturday, kick-off 3pm.

Tadley Calleva: Craig Atkinson, Aiden Harris, Tom Walsh (C), Brad Neal, Kieran Maylen, Callum Cleary, (sub 74' Lucas Burt), Jack French (sub 74' Jordan Goater), Aaron Parfitt (sub 60' Scott Kinge), Brett Denham (sub 80' Jacob Rolfe), Ben Wright, Kalum Cousins (sub 70' Ousman Darboe).


Recent Posts
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page