top of page

Maximum Points at Merland Rise

Tuesday night saw a return to away action for Tadley-Calleva as they travelled into Surrey, and the highest ground in the Combined Counties League, to Banstead Athletic.

With player availability issues & small injuries, it was a call up for impressive Tadley-Calleva reserve players Jacob Rolfe and Tiago Moreno. The latter making his first team debut.

Tadley started quickly, and dominated possession from the off. The game plan was obvious, to get the ball into the channels and occupy the wide areas with Brody Peart & Jamie Johnston running at the full backs.

Three minutes into the fixture Tadley had the first golden opportunity. Jamie Johnston beat his opponent with ease down Tadley's left hand side, he put a great cross into the box which found Alex Fragata who's audacious overhead kick was caught by the goalkeeper. Early signs of danger for the home side.

It was to be the theme of the first half, with Tadley dominating much of the possession and seemingly creating an opportunity every time they came forward.

The best chance of an uneventful half falling to Jamie Johnston who's effort sailed over the bar. We are sure there was a bobble involved.

Tadley dominated the first half but went in level at 0-0.

The second forty-five started much the same as the first. Tadley got the half underway and dominated from the start.

Just four minutes in, the tie became alot harder for Banstead. A ball from the Tadley back line was played up the pitch with no danger until Bansteads captain slipped on the ever frosting pitch allowing Fragata to take control of the ball.

Fragata was then cynically pulled down on the edge of the box by the skipper who ultimately saw red from the referee.

Less than ten minutes later, Tadley broke the deadlock. A corner on the near side was played into the front post where centre half Brad Neal collected the ball and put it past the helpless goalkeeper from a tight angle. A goal to settle the nerves for Tadley.

After the goal, the home side started to commit players forward and attempt to gain control of the ball.

A long ball over the Tadley back line was chased down well by Shemar Pettet into the box. Pettet collided with the winger and a penalty was awarded.

It was slotted straight down the middle and the home side, with their only shot of the game levelled the scoring.

Less than ten minutes later, Tadley were back ahead. A short corner to Pettet was put to the far post, it was put back in by Kinge who found Fragata in the box to tap home for 1-2.

Tadley were not finished there and with three minutes remaining, substitute & debutant Tiago Moreno scored Tadley's third with his first touch of the game.

A cross from Jamie Johnston was not dealt with by the home defence and Moreno was on hand to poke the ball home to wrap up all three points on a bitterly cold night in Surrey.


Recent Posts
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page