top of page

Narrow Victory earns another 3 points

A single second half header from Tadley-Calleva’s Callum Cleary earned the Barlows Park side a vital three points to double their points tally in the Combined Counties Premier League South.

Tadleys reward for their fine victory over Jersey Bulls last time out was a clear midweek to recover, while their opponents, Cobham FC, beat tenants of Leg O’Mutton field, Epsom & Ewell by three goals to nil.

With the sun beating down onto the impeccable playing surface at Barlow’s Park, Tadley got the game underway Infront of a crowd of 65 looking for Saturday afternoon entertainment.

There wasn’t much of it in the first half.

The opening stages were uneventful, and lacking some quality on both parts. Cobham were looking to control possession the middle of the park to work some openings, and Tadley allowed them to do so early on.

This possession allowed the first chance of the game on twelve minutes when the away side were able to move the ball through the middle and to the edge of the box. A curling effort looked destined for the top corner but for an outstanding, outstretched save to the left from young goalkeeper Joel Halliday.

Tadley had a free kick in a dangerous area, 25 yards out, moments later but a deflection off the wall saw the ball go high and wide and out for a corner kick.

Midway through the first 45, Cobham thought they should have been awarded a penalty when Patrick Murray raced into the box from the right hand side. Being closed down by both Goater and Miller for Tadley, the winger went down a little too easily for the referees liking and the play was waved on.

The half time whistle brought the end of an uneventful half with the score at 0-0.

It was evident Tadley weren’t happy with their first half performance as they came out after the break showing signs of improvement. Bringing their wide players into the game more, with improved solidity in the middle, Tadley were able to start breaking the lines of their opponents.

The step up in gear paid off when Alex Miller was brought down on the far left side of the field. The resulting free kick was whipped into a crowded penalty area where Tadleys Callum Cleary rose between two opposing defenders, flicked the ball on and turned to see it fly past the helpless goalkeeper and into the back of the net, signalling a roar from the home support.

Tadley were ahead, but just a minute later it could have counted for nothing. A scramble in the box allowed the ball to fall to the away side who saw their effort cleared off the line by Andrew Charsley. What followed was a series of chances and corners, but to no avail.

Tadley had two further chances to put themselves out of sight late on when both Alex Miller and Alex Fragata both saw their respective efforts fall agonisingly wide of the post.

Tadley held on resiliently in the seven added minutes that followed normal time and claimed their second league win of the 3 fixtures so far.


Recent Posts
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page