top of page

Tired Tadley Fall to Defeat

A fully filled February ended in defeat for Tadley-Calleva as Colliers Wood United put 3 past the hosts without reply on a bitterly cold afternoon at Barlows Park.

The home defeat leaves Tadley-Calleva in eigth position in the table but with games in hand in their quest for a top five finish.

The hosts got the match underway but it was evident from the first kick that Colliers Wood were out to press aggresively and bring the game to Tadley.

With just four minutes on the clock they got their first reward of the afternoon. Some good play in the final third allowed the ball to break to Huckle in the centre of the goal, twenty-five yards out. Unchallenged, Huckle struck the ball, and from the moment it left his boot it was destined for the top corner. Atkinson in the Tadley goal could not do anything about the effort and Tadley found themselves behind within five minutes.

Tadley hit back and should have levelled the scores just three minutes later. A ticky, marauding run down the left from Alex Miller allowed him to put the ball across the box where Ben Wright found himself infront of goal. Nine times out of ten the ball would be in rippling the back of the net, however this was the one. A mis-kick from the Tadley marksman allowed the visitors goalkeeper to tip the effort round the post and out for a corner.

The game evened out with both sides now creating half chances. The best of those coming from the visitors which forced a strong save from Atkinson who managed to keep the deficit to just the one goal.

Colliers Wood United went into the break one nil up thanks to the fourth minute wonder strike from Huckle.

As the wind picked up in Tadley, Colliers Wood threw caution to it and within the first five minutes of the restart found themselves two goals ahead. Tadley's left back Goater was caught on the ball on the half way line which allowed a run down the left hand side to the by-line, the ball was squared to Kendall inside the 6-yard who was on hand to tap the ball past the outstretched Atkinson.

Tadley were trying to get back into the game, but to little effect. The ball was not sticking in the midle of the park and chances broke down in the final third.

The second half was played at a slow, flat pace with both sides struggling to get a hold of the ball for long periods.

Tadley's best chance of the half came with just minutes to play from a cross over on the far left hand side. The ball was whipped in, with pace and was met by the head of the oncoming Scott Kinge. His powerful header went whistling inches past the post.

The visitors were not finished however and with virtually the final kick of the game, Colliers Wood number fourteen Jenkins found himself with space over on the right hand side, he cut in and with a cross-shot looped the ball over Atkinson and into the far corner.

Colliers Wood deserved their win at Barlows Park as they continue to chase the top three sides in the division.

As for Tadley-Calleva, they looked heavy legged from Tuesdays nights fantastic effort against AFC Bournemouth. They will be looking to bounce back on this Tuesday (28.2.23) when they travel to Woking to face Knaphill FC


Recent Posts
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page